Family law encompasses a number of high-emotion issues, including divorce, paternity, custody and more. When you are dealing with any of these cases, you need a competent, trustworthy attorney like Zachary Holbrook on your side in court or during mediation to make sure that your rights are always protected.
Utah Family Law
Family law in Utah deals with various issues involving spouses and children. Some of the most common issues addressed in family law cases include:
- Divorce – When a married couple decides that they no longer want to be married, divorce can end the marriage legally. During divorce cases, the court will address division of property, child custody, child support and/or spousal support.
- Child Custody – When a child’s parents don’t live in the same home, formal child custody and visitation agreements are often necessary. Custody orders determine when each parent will see the child, as well as how much legal responsibility each parent will have for the child.
- Child Support – Utah requires both parents to provide financial support for their children. In general, the noncustodial pays child support to the custodial parent. The amount of support required depends on the child’s financial needs, as well as the income of the parents.
- Alimony – In some cases, one spouse may be required to pay alimony to the other during or after a divorce. Alimony requirements are determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Paternity – Before custody, visitation or child support arrangements can be made, paternity must be established. If paternity has not already been established by marriage or some other means, formal court proceedings are often necessary.
- Adoption – Adoption cases involve the addition of a child to your family. The child may be a relative or non-relative.
Hiring a Family Law Attorney
Family law can be complex and confusing, especially when you are already involved in a potentially-traumatic situation. To ensure that your interests are protected at all times during your case, it is a good idea to hire a qualified family law attorney like Zach to represent you and provide advice. He has experience representing clients in all types of family law cases, and he can help you make the best possible decisions in your case.
If you are involved in a family law case, contact Zach today to schedule a consultation. We look forward to working with you!